Excel range is a group of selected excel cells. You can select a range of excel cells using the references to the range’s left-top cell and the range’s bottom-right cell. For example, the range A1:C6 will select all the cells between cell A1 and cell C6. An Excel table is a cell range that has a table name, all the cells in the table are pre-formatted and well-structured. Excel tables can have table headers, and you can sort the table rows by the header cells. This article will tell you how to convert an excel table to a range and vice versa with examples.
1. How To Convert Excel Range To Table.
- Select all the cells in the excel range.
- Then press Ctrl + T or click the Insert tab —> Table icon button in the Tables group.
- Then it will open the Create Table dialog window.
- If your table has headers, then check the My table has headers checkbox.
- Click the OK button, then it will convert the selected cell range to an excel table.
- You can read the article How To Make A Table In Excel to learn more.
- Besides the above method, you can also click the Home tab —>Format as Table drop-down list.
- Then you can select one table style from the drop-down list to apply the style to the cell range to convert the excel range to the table.
- If the cell range already has some format such as cell color, size, .etc, you can right-click the target table style in the drop-down list, and then click the Apply and Clear Formatting menu item in the pop-up menu list.
- Then it will clear the original formats on the cell range, and then apply the new table style to the range to create the table.
2. How To Convert Excel Table To Range.
- If you want to convert the excel table to the cell range, you can select any cell in the table.
- Then click the Table Tools —> Table Design tab on the excel top area.
- Then click the Convert to Range item in the Tools group.
- You can also right-click the excel table, and then click the menu item Table —> Convert to Range in the pop-up menu list.
- Then click the Yes button on the popup dialog.
- Then it will convert the excel table to a range.
- But the table formats are reserved in the normal range.